So, I've been playing around a little bit with a new gluten free roll recipe that I think you're all going to love! I wanted something a little easier, faster, and with simpler ingredients than my other Gluten Free Soft Dinner Roll recipe.
...And the result is awesome!
These rolls are completely gluten AND dairy free and in fact, they only use water and oil as their base instead of a butter sub or milk sub. They bake up beautiful with a great golden crust and actually make wonderful hamburger buns too. But don't take my word for it! Try them out and let me know what you think!
Quick Gluten Free Rolls (also makes great hamburger buns)
Note from jalene:
Grapeseed Oil has a higher cooking temperature than Olive Oil so it is highly recommended for this recipe. It also has a very minimal flavor so it will not affect the taste of your rolls. It is healthier than Canola Oil or other alternatives so we highly recommend only using Grapeseed Oil for this recipe.
For HAMBURGER BUNS I use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of dough per roll instead of 1/4 cup.
For EGG FREE ROLLS simply combine 2 Tablespoons of Flax Seed Meal with 6 Tablespoons of water and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Add this mixture in when the recipe calls for the eggs. Using Flax Seed Meal makes a great moist roll with a great texture so even if you're not allergic, it's worth a try!
Recipe UPDATE: I have another roll recipe that I've been using more for Hamburger Buns. They're quick and they look beautiful. This is still a great recipe, I just prefer my Quick Roll Recipe instead. ;) Click the recipe name to view.
So I've been playing around with my dinner roll recipe and I've been able to do quite a bit with it! This next recipe turns out amazing. The hamburger buns are MOIST, not-distracting, have a GREAT TASTE and easy to make. The whole process can be done in under an hour which is such an improvement from some other hamburger bun recipes I've seen. You can also make it dairy free if you prefer. I like my hamburger buns a little dried out so you can make these the day before you have hamburgers too to save time.
Great news too, these can also be FROZEN! Simply freeze them after cooling completely in an airtight ziplock bag. To thaw you can throw them in the oven at 350 for about 5-7 minutes or thaw them on the counter or in the microwave.
Gluten Free Hamburger Buns
(Gluten Free, Can be Dairy Free)
Created by jalene but inspired by a recipe from Carol Kicinski
Makes 11-12 hamburger buns
2. In a small bowl combine the yeast, sugar, and warm milk. Cover with a towel and let sit 6-8 minutes or until the yeast has doubled in size. (2 cups should become 4 cups).
3. In a mixing bowl or food processor combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.
4. Add the yeast mixture, 2 eggs, butter sub, honey and apple cider vinegar and blend while scraping sides. Mix for 3 minutes longer on medium speed.
5. Scoop 1/2 cup dough out onto a cookie sheet forming a circular mound.
6. Spray a sheet of plastic wrap with olive oil and place on top of the rolls. Let rise 30-35 minutes. The last 10 minutes, preheat your oven to 375 F. Discard plastic wrap.
7. Bake for around 15-20 minutes or until tops are light golden brown. Slice in half and serve with your favorite burger!
To store: Cool completely then keep in an airtight container. Can also frozen for later use.
Trouble-shooting your BUNS:
Some gluten free baking has to be done very PRECISE in order to turn out correctly. This recipe is no exception. If your buns flattened or turned out incorrectly check these helpful tips to trouble-shoot where it went wrong:
wife of a holistic doctor &
Search our Website:
out my husband's (Dr. Nielsen's)
Follow us as we add
great new recipes