Gluten Free Healthy Chocolate Cake-Brownie Bites
Adapted by jalene from a recipe by Shanna B.
- 1/4 cup butter or Earth Balance butter substitue (see note)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 & 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder + more for flouring
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
- gluten free chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour with cocoa mini muffin tins. If using silicon baking ware you only need to slightly grease with oil. I used olive oil. (see tip below)
- In a blender or food processor, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the zucchini and mix thoroughly. (I used my blendtec.)
- Add the egg, brown rice flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt, and xanthan gum and mix until just combined.
- Fill mini muffins a little over 1/2 full. They will double in size. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. (You could also stir in the chocolate chips instead if you prefer.) Bake little muffins for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tips from jalene:
- You can use 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil instead of the butter. They will raise slightly less but still taste great!
- When working with chocolate cakes or muffins, I grease and then flour the pans with cocoa powder, not a white flour. This ensures no white residue. Simple. Smart.
- If you want to make a huge tray of these, triple the recipe, pour it onto a greased and cocoa-ed cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes at 350.