adapted by jalene
- 2 medium zucchinis, chopped
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 T fresh parsley, minced or 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil or 1 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1/3 cup butter or ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp potato starch or you can use 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk or 1 cup of dry milk mixed with 1 and 1/4 cup of water
- 1 can (14.5 oz) corn or 1 ½ cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups medium cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the carrots, zucchini, onion, parsley, and basil and saute until veggies are tender.
- Add the potato starch, salt and pepper and stir until well combined.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and lemon juice and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, milk, and corn and bring soup back to a boil. Turn heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn and tomatoes are tender.
- Take soup off heat and stir in the cheeses. Serve warm.
*You can use a variety of other veggies instead of the ones listed. Potatoes, celery, or broccoli would also work well in this soup.
*To make Dairy-Free you can add a can of coconut milk instead of the evaporated milk and leave out both the cheeses or sub Vegan Chedder Cheese for the Chedder and sub Nutrition Flakes for the Parmesan Cheese. This will change the taste slightly but will still be good.
Have a picky eater?
Our nieces came over and they are anti-chunks and "green things" so we actually took their soup, blended it up in our blend-tec, and told them it was "Cheese Soup." It blended to a beautiful cheezy orange color and they never knew the difference! It's a great way to sneak in vegetables!