This next recipe came from necessity. My sister-in-law left town and, before she left, she brought over all these cherries. You can only eat so many until you need a good way to mass eat them...ha ha. I seriously haven't had cherries for so long! When I was a little kid my grandpa used to sell them from the trees in his backyard. He had so many of them! We even had this contest to see who could pump high on his swing set and eat cherries right off of the tree. Proud to say I accomplished it once. Man, we would eat them by the handfuls. Now a days, it seems like if I have to buy cherries they're overpriced and not as good as the ones he grew.
K, enough being nostalgic. This next recipe is SOOO yummy. I use FRESH cherries instead of a can and you CAN tell a difference! Plus, it's guaranteed gluten free and I didn't have to hunt the aisles looking for a gluten free cherry pie filling. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Cherry Crisp (from scratch!)
Created by jalene but inspired by a recipe off food.com
Cherry Filling Ingredients:
- 2 cups cherries, pitted & cut in half (see note)
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp sugar (I use evaporated cane juice sugar)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch (I use non-GMO)
- 3/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free Oat Flour (or you can make your own by blending 1/4 cup oats in your blender)
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free Quick Oats
- 2 Tbsp cold butter or Earth Balance butter sub.
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine cherry filling ingredients together. Pour into a greased 4x8 pan.
- In another bowl, mix the crisp ingredients using a pastry blender or fork. The mixture should resemble course crumbs. Crumble the mixture over the cherry filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until brown.
Tip from jalene:
- If you don't have enough cherries, you can use 1 cup cherries and 1 cup diced apples instead of 2 cups cherries. You can actually cut your apple pieces larger than pictured so they cook about the same as the cherries.