Not only is this one gluten-free and dairy-free like my other recipes, but it's also sugar-free too! They're simply sweetened by the applesauce (and of course whatever you choose to put on top.)
The brown rice in these waffles gives them a hearty fill and I love the fact that I only have to use one gluten free flour to create them.
My Husband's Favorite Waffles
Created by jalene
Yields 3-4 waffles
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup soy milk (or almond milk) *see note
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened organic applesauce
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 & 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- Heat waffle iron.
- In bowl, mix all wet ingredients.
- Add the remaining dry and stir until combined. Let sit for 1 minute. Batter will raise.
- Grease your waffle pan (if needed, all waffle irons are not created equally unfortunately.) Pour enough batter to fill almost 3/4 of the waffle grill. Cook until golden brown.
We usually top our waffles with unsweetened organic applesauce.
- This recipe can also work as pancakes! (See comment below.)
- If I am using brown or white rice flour in a recipe, I have found that using a rice milk does not work. So I would suggest soy or almond milk in this recipe. Remember to check your labels on your milk to make sure it's gluten-free, sugar-free. I make my own milk and leave out the sugar.
- Also, a note on apples: Apples are among the list of the "dirty dozen" which means they are one of the dirtiest fruits/vegetables covered with pesticides and chemicals. In fact, apples have more than over 40 different pesticides and washing alone DOES NOT remove them. So bottom line, always buy your apple products organically.