The other night my husband came home with the idea and asked, "Is it possible?" Well, sure! Anything can happen in my kitchen! Spinach is one of those super healthy foods. It's an excellent source of iron and calcium (actually more than cow's milk), it's anti-inflammatory (meaning it wont cause inflammation), it's high in vitamin c and a, it's low in fat, sodium, and carbs, and it has a subtle taste so it wont strongly affect the outcome of your food.
We truly should be eating more and more of it in our diets! BUT...try telling that to your 2 year old or your other small children! Maybe even your husband has a hard time with it! Audrey, to this day, has a tough time with smoothies, no matter how fruity we make them! But guess what she'll ask for now every morning? "GREEN WAFFLES!"
Score: Mom-1 Audrey-(well she wins too).
So before you throw this idea and recipe out, try it once! You'll be pleasantly surprised! It also makes an SUPER COOL St. Patrick's Day idea, Christmas-time Breakfast, or cool Incredible Hulk Waffles. Name it what you will to get your kids to eat it! Ha ha. Enjoy.
Gluten Free Green Smoothie Waffles
Created by jalene from an idea of her husband's (Dr. Nielsen)
- 1/2 cup pureed raw spinach (see directions below)
- 1/2 cup milk alternative (we used almond milk)
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 & 1/2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- If you're unfamiliar with how to puree spinach, simple wash it and stick in the blender. It takes about 6-8 cups to make 1/2 cup puree. Add only a TINY bit of water and push the spinach down in between blending to help. With my Blendtec, as I turn the speed higher it grabs the spinach and works without much water at all.
- Add the 1/2 cup milk alternative, eggs, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Blend for 15-30 seconds then add the brown rice flour, salt, and baking soda. Blend for another 15 seconds. Scrape sides if necessary.
- Spray your iron if necessary and pour in your batter. Cook until golden brown.