Gluten Free Pigs in a Blanket
Created by jalene, based off my GF Soft Dinner Roll Recipe
Makes about 30 small pigs in a blanket (see note below)
- parchment paper, 6 inches wide
- 15 nitrate-free hot dogs (I used Hormel's Brand)
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar or evaporated cane juice sugar
- 1 cup warm rice milk (about 100 F)
- 3/4 cups sweet white rice flour (I grind my own from calrose rice)
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 6 Tbsp potato starch (not flour)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 & 1/2 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp butter or GF DF Earth Balance
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- Cut your hot dogs in half. Pat them dry with a paper towel (helps the dough stick better) and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the yeast, sugar, and warm milk. Cover with a towel and let sit 6-8 minutes or until the yeast has doubled in size. Should measure to 2 cups by the time it's finished.
- In a mixing bowl or food processor combine rice flours, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan or guar gum, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the yeast mixture, egg, butter sub, honey and apple cider vinegar and blend while scraping sides. Mix for 3 minutes longer on medium speed scraping sides if necessary.
8. Open the parchment paper and grab the pig in a blanket by the 2 ends. Transfer to a cookie sheet. Repeat this process until all ingredients are used.
9. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Let your pigs in a blanket rise during this time for about 10 minutes.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is starting to golden. Serve warm!