Gluten Free Jam & Oatmeal Cookie Bars
Adapted by jalene from a recipe by Bob's RedMill
Makes 9 bars (about 2 inch by 2 inch)
- 1/2 cup butter (For Dairy Free use Earth Balance or Coconut Oil), melted
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour (I make my own from gf rolled oats in my Blendtec)
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla (divided)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup jam (I used strawberry but the possibilities are endless!)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8x8 pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the melted butter, oat flour, rolled oats, sugar, xanthan gum, baking powder, 1 tsp of the vanilla, almond extract, and salt in a large bowl. Mix until well incorporated.
- Split the dough in half and spread 1/2 of it on the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Combine your jam and the remaining 1 tsp of vanilla together then spread it evenly into the pan. Top with the remaining 1/2 of the dough. (I found it helpful to roll out the top half to the size of 8x8 between 2 pieces of wax paper so it covered better. Otherwise, it's hard to spread.)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes and then cool pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes before cutting.
Note from jalene:
On one batch I was experimenting with I used some freezer jam and the results were magical- the jam caramelized and made them so delicious!