Just look at that crust! That's a gluten free lattice crust! I was super excited for it. It was a lot of fun to do. If you're not into the lattice look you can also just roll out a top crust and use a small cookie cutter to "poke" holes in it. This is a great recipe to make the day before. The crust takes at least an hour to sit in the fridge so keep that in mind in your planning.
Gluten Free Apple Pie
Adapted by jalene from a combination of all the many apple pie recipes out there!
Gluten Free Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup sweet white rice flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp sugar (I used evaporated cane juice sugar)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup butter (or to make it dairy free use Earth Balance)
- 2 eggs
- about 4-6 Tbsp of water
- 1 egg white (for painting the crust before baking)
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients: rice flours, potato starch, cornstarch, sugar, and sea salt.
- Using a pastry blender , mixer, or your fingers, cut in the butter or Earth Balance until COMPLETELY incorporated. It should resemble a fine meal. Add the eggs then add the water 1/2 Tbsp at a time (you may not need all the water so stop before the dough gets too wet.)
- Divide the dough in half. Wrap the dough balls separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. After refrigerating allow to sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes before rolling out. You could prepare your filling during this time.
- 7 apples (I used 4 green and 3 red organic apples)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used evaporated cane juice sugar and have tried only a 1/4 cup instead and liked it just as well)
Gluten Free Pie Filling Directions:
- Peel and core the apples. Slice each apple into 16 wedges each. Toss with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Gluten Free Apple Pie Directions:
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Unwrap 1 of your dough balls. Place it on a very large sheet of parchment paper. Tear off another piece of parchment for the top. Roll out your crust so it is about 1 & 1/2 inches larger than your pie pan. Peel off the top layer of parchment paper and turn your pie pan upside down and place it in the middle of your rolled out dough. Slide your hand under the parchment paper and put your other hand on the top of your pie pan and flip everything over so the pan is right side up and your dough is nicely placed in it. Peel off the parchment paper and gently work your dough to fit in the pan. Cut off any extra that runs over the sides.
- Roll out your second crust (also in between 2 pieces of parchment). Peel off the top layer of parchment. Cut 1 cm strips of dough.
5. Once your pie is completed, whip your egg white slightly and then paint the top of your pie with it. (This helps with the browning look.) Bake for about 50 minutes or until the crust is lightly brown.