Adapted by jalene
- 4 cups chicken broth (make sure label says GF)
- 1 cup water
- 1 organic apple (cut into cubes)
- 2 large carrots (sliced)
- 1 cup tomatoes (diced and with juices)
- 2 stalks organic celery *see note
- 1/3 cup rice (I used brown but I did have to increase the cooking time slightly)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tsp dried or 1 Tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chopped chicken (optional)
- In a large pot combine the everything except for the chicken (if you decide to add it).
- Bring everything to a boil and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer around 20 minutes (or until your rice is tender). Stir in chicken and heat through.
Just like apples, celery show up on the "Dirty Dozen" list of fruits and vegetables that are highly contaminated by pesticide residue. So if you're going to buy anything organic, celery should be at the top of that list along with apples.