Don't have a gluten free bun? Try my recipe out! You can make it from start to finish in under an hour!
Created by jalene
- 1/2 lb organic ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup organic gluten-free ketchup (**see note)
- 1 tsp organic gluten-free mustard (**see note)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quinoa (trust me here)
- salt and pepper to taste
- GF & DF buns
- In a large skillet, brown the beef, onion, garlic, and green pepper. Drain off liquids.
- Stir in the mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, salt and pepper and simmer on ve for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil. Add quinoa and cover. Turn heat to lowest setting and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add quinoa to meat mixture and stir well. Serve sloppy joe warm.
Note from jalene:
The ketchup and mustard I would recommend are these by Organicville. Here is some information about their company and production:
Organicville’s condiments are USDA certified organic, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and contain no added sugar" (website: 10 May 2011). "All our products are gluten free. We are not a gluten free facility. However, when we make our products, no other products are made that day on the line. We are very strict with cross contamination and have excellent general manufacturing processes. In addition, we have excellent ingredient separation and certification. All our products except for the relish are certified gluten free by GFCO.org, in addition we test all our products for gluten less than 10ppm."