So, when I saw this recipe at my local health food store it definitely caught my eye! I've been wanting to make some carrot cake lately so it was perfect! Not only is this recipe RAW but it's GRAIN FREE, DAIRY FREE, GLUTEN FREE, and EGG FREE. It was created by a man named Russell James who actually has an entire website of raw foods!
Now, if you're anything like how I USED TO BE, as soon as I would see all these ____-free recipes I'd start thinking, "Oh, I'm not concerned about that" and then I would disregard the recipe. BUT, this recipe is seriously yummy AND it's SO healthy. Try it out and let me know what you think!
Raw Carrot Cake
Adapted by jalene from a recipe by Russell James
- 2 cups raw pecans
- 1 cup soft dates
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 cups finely grated carrot
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 & 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp orange extract or 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- In a food processor grind the pecans. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Next blend together the dates, raisins, and orange juice to make a paste. Add the rest of the ingredients: pecans, carrot, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, salt, orange extract, and coconut. Combine well. (You can either stir them together by hand or use your food processor. I used a food processor because I'm not a fan of big chunks.)
- Press into an 8x8 pan or 8 inch round cake pan. Place the cake into the fridge to set. Meanwhile, make your icing.
- 1 & 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp coconut nectar or honey
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Blend all the icing ingredients together in a high speed blender until smooth. Spread on the cake just before serving. (If a thicker consistency is desired, place the frosting in the fridge.) Garnish your cake with nutmeg and carrot shreds if desired.