Normally, Shepard's Pie contains beef or ground lamb as its base but I wanted to give it a little extra something. It has ground turkey which makes it healthier but also a little bit of sausage to give it some added flavor and kick. The fun part is, after eating this, my husband thought all of the meat was sausage! Perfect, that's what I was going for.
Overall, it's yummy and I hope you love it too!
Adapted by jalene from a recipe by Rachel Ray
Yields 2 Pies
- 2 lbs potatoes (russet or red), peel or wash well & cube (I left the peels on)
- 2 Tbsp sour cream (I used Tofutti's Milk Free Sour Cream to make it dairy free)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup gluten free chicken broth
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 lb gluten free sausage
- (optional) 1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter (I used Earthbalance to make it dairy free)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup gluten free chicken broth
- 2 tsp gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn (we recommend non-GMO)
- 1 tsp paprika
- (optional) 2 tsp dried parsley
- Boil the potatoes in water until tender. Drain and set aside. In a bowl combine the sour cream, egg yolk, and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes to the mixture and mash until almost smooth.
- While your potatoes are boiling heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chopped onions and oil. Cook for 3-5 minutes then add the meats, season with salt and pepper, and add the red pepper flakes (if using). Cook for about 3 minutes, while browning and crumbling. Then add the carrots. Cook until the meat is fully browned.
- In a saucepan over medium heat (I used the pan my potatoes cooked in) add the butter and cornstarch together. Whisk for 2 minutes then add in the chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for another minute or until gravy thickens. Add the gravy to the meat and vegetables. Stir in the peas and corn.
- Preheat your oven to broil on high. Divide evenly the meat & veggie mixture to the 2 pie pans. Divide evenly the potato mixture on top of the meat & veggie mixture and smooth over. Sprinkle each with paprika and dried parsley and place in the oven to broil until the potatoes are evenly browned.