This curry is not spicy and has a mild taste so it's a great beginner curry if any of you have been scared to try it before. If you're a fan of peanut butter-even better! The coconut milk and curry blend together blissfully.
My favorite way to cook this is with a little bit of carrots, red pepper, chicken, and cashews but you can really change out any of the veggies. (Pictured is with potatoes instead of red pepper.) I've even done it with all chicken and no veggies. Choose your own adventure folks! Whatever you decide, you're going to LOVE it!
Chicken & Coconut Peanut Curry
Adapted by jalene from a recipe off Food.com
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter (we used organic)
- 1 Tbsp gluten free red curry paste (we use Thai Kitchen's)
- 1 & 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 & 1/2 tsp gluten free fish sauce (we use Thai Kitchen's)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 small onion (cut into 1 inch squares or chopped finely)
- 1 breast chicken (cut into 1 inch strips)
- 1 carrot (sliced into 1/2 inch rounds)
- 1/2 red pepper (cut into 1 inch squares)
- In a skillet cook the onion, garlic and chicken until cooked through. Remove from heat, cover, and set aside.
- In a blender (we use a Blendtec) add the coconut milk, peanut butter, red curry paste, honey, fish sauce, and salt. Combine until smooth.
- Pour into a medium sauce pan and bring to a gentle boil. Add the carrots and cook for 3 minutes then add the red pepper and cook until both are tender. Stir in the chicken mixture and serve hot over rice or quinoa. Store any leftovers (covered) in the refrigerator and eat within 3 days.
Note from jalene:
- (all meat) 2 large chicken breasts OR
- (all veggies) 1 carrot, 1 potato, 1/2 red pepper (you can also throw in some nuts to give it a good protein source)