Whenever I think of orange rolls, I think of her and our Christmas mornings as kids. I know she LOVES them just as much as we did. It just wouldn't be the same without some this year! I've been determined to create a yummy gluten free version so we both don't feel like we're missing out.
Hope you all enjoy them too!
Gluten Free Orange Rolls
Created by jalene
Orange Roll Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar or evaporated cane juice sugar
- 1 cup warm plain rice or almond milk (about 110 degrees)
- 1/4 cup sweet white rice flour (or blend your own from Calrose Rice)
- 3/4 cupbrown rice flour
- 1/4 + 2 Tbsp potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 & 1/2 tspxanthan gum or guar gum
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp orange juice concentrate
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- Grease 12 muffin tins with coconut or olive oil and set aside. Whisk the yeast, sugar, and milk together in a 2 cup or bigger size bowl. Cover with a towel and allow to rise. (It is ready when it has doubled.)
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: white rice flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl add the egg and beat for about 30 seconds. Next add the applesauce, honey, orange juice concentrate and zest. Pour in the yeast mixture and the flour mixture and mix until combined (scraping the sides if necessary) and then increase the speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes.
- Scoop the dough into your prepared pan. Oil a sheet of plastic wrap and cover the rolls. Let rise for 30 minutes. About 10 minutes before they are ready, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until tops are starting to turn brown. While baking, prepare the frosting.
Blend together 1 tsp orange zest, 1 Tbsp orange juice, 1 & 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 & 1/2 oz of cream cheese (or vegan sub to make it dairy free), and 2 Tbsp of butter (or Earth Balance to make it dairy free). Makes about 2 Tbsp per orange roll.
| || |
We suggest finding a good ORGANIC unsweetened Applesauce. Why? Because apples are number 1 of the top 12 dirtiest foods contaminated with pesticides and chemicals! You can learn more about the rest of the DIRTY DOZEN list on THIS website.