Adapted by jalene from healthyisalwaysbetter
- 1 & 3/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain dairy-free yogurt (I used soy but there is coconut or almond alternatives)
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar substitute like Splenda Granular or 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Stevia (I used evaporated cane sugar because I was not worried about a little extra calories)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chips (or you can use white chocolate or peanut butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, mix all the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared liners. (I filled mine almost to the top because they didn't raise as high as pictured.) Take half the chocolate chips and divide evenly into each of the cupcakes. (I did this because the chocolate chips sink to the bottom of the batter if you add them in before and then all your chips end up in the last couple of cupcakes!)
- Bake for 10 minutes, take the pan out of the oven and divide out the remaining chocolate chips onto the tops. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in pan before removing.