The greatest compliment I think I've had is my own father-in-law who wont even touch desserts, ate 2 of these the other night. ;) (It helped that I made them gluten free and dairy free for him.)
Gluten Free Monkey Bread
(Gluten Free, Can be Dairy Free)
Created by jalene
Makes about 24 individual muffin desserts
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- 1 & 1/4 cup warm water (about 110 F)
- 1/4 cup sugar (I use evaporated cane juice sugar)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp potato starch (not flour)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 & 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
Cinnamon Sugar Combo:
- 1/2 cup sugar (evaporated cane juice sugar)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter (use earth balance to make df)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp 100% pure maple syrup
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp coconut milk (or cow's, almond, or rice milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 4 cup size container combine the yeast, sugar, and water. Add the oil and allow the mixture to sit until it has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients: brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt.
- When the yeast mixture is ready, add it to your dry ingredients. Add the eggs and blend while scraping sides. Mix for 3 minutes on medium speed.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Using a 1 inch cookie scooper, scoop a mound into your cinnamon and sugar. Coat the dough and place into muffin tin. Repeat 1 more time so you should have a total of two cinnamon & sugar coated mounds in 1 muffin tin. Repeat until the entire dough is used.
- For the Gooey Sauce- In a small saucepan melt the butter. Add the brown sugar, maple syrup, and salt. Heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the milk. Distribute evenly over each 24 muffin tin.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until light golden brown.