We made these today actually (mainly because I had some old bananas to use up AND I'm just not ready to make banana bread again AND I wanted to try out my new donut pan I just purchased!)
They are light, fluffy and a great alternative to making banana bread with those old bananas.
Gluten Free Banana Donuts
Adapted by jalene
Yields: 10-12 donuts
- 2 over-ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp milk or milk alternative
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (I use evaporated cane sugar or coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp cornstarch (look for a non-GMO one)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray or rub donut pan with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the banana, egg, milk, sugar, vanilla and oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fill each donut round with 2 heaping spoonfuls of batter. They will raise when cooking. (Should make 10-12 donuts.)
- Bake 7-9 minutes, then cool 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before glazing, if desired.