Adapted by jalene (original recipe by Michelle Thomas)
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1 & 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or 1/2 Tbsp fresh
- 1 & 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In a large skillet saute the onion and garlic in the oil until tender.
- Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Uncover and cook off any excess liquid. Mixture will thicken. You can slightly mash the lentils if you prefer.
- Stir in the salsa and serve! We eat them in taco shells, tostadas or on chips with romaine lettuce, avocado, and more salsa. They are amazing!
If you are not concerned about being dairy-free, cheese is great on them as well.