This next recipe is a simple homemade Beef flavored Vegetable Soup. Its a great hearty soup that can be frozen for easy use later too. Enjoy!
Beef Vegetable Soup
Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Can be Vegan)
Adapted by jalene from a Better Homes & Gardens Recipe
Makes about 8 cups
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green sweet pepper OR you can use zucchini instead
- 1 & 1/2 cups sliced carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 28 ounces of beef stock (or sub beef flavored Vegan stock)
- 1 & 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup brown rice OR millet
- 1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1- 14 & 1/2 oz can of diced tomatoes or 2 cups of fresh diced tomatoes with their juices
- In a large saucepan cook the onions, sweet pepper, and garlic in oil until tender. (If using zucchini instead, you'll add that later.)
- Stir in broth, water, lentils, brown rice (or millet), basil, oregano, rosemary, sea salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and zucchini (if using). Cover and simmer about 20 minutes more or just until the carrots are tender. Add the un-drained tomatoes and heat through.