Ever since my baby girl was born and I started nursing, I've had to go off of some things besides my gluten and dairy free diet. Sadly, chocolate is one of those things! Being gluten and dairy free is not a big deal to me (because I've done it for so long now and I have tons of recipes to curve any craving I might have) but take away my chocolate and it's borderline tear jerking. ;) So, naturally when I wanted a cookie, it had to be a chocolate free. These cookies kiss my pain better. Ha ha.
Here's my disclaimer though: These cookies are not the healthiest (but let's be honest, not too many cookies pass as healthy anyways). I'm supposed to tell you (by order of my husband) not to eat them often. They're a treat... so eat responsibly. ;)
Gluten Free Snickerdoodles
Adapted by jalene from an old family recipe
Makes 27 cookies (from 1 & 1/4 inch balls)
Outside snickerdoodle coating (mix together and set aside):
- 2 Tbsp sugar (I used
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup white rice flour (I grind my own from Calrose Rice)
- 5 Tbsp potato starch
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- 3/4 cup sugar (I used evaporated cane juice sugar)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Butter (You can use regular butter if you're not dairy free)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degress F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silkmat.
- Mix together in a medium size bowl the white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, sea salt, baking soda and cream of tarter. Set aside.
- Cream together the sugar and butter. Then beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture until well combined.
- Scoop the dough into 1 to 1 & 1/4 inch balls and roll in the cinnamon and sugar mixture until completely covered. Place onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the pan for 1 minute before placing onto a cooling rack. Store cookies in an airtight container. Taste great up to 3 days after baking.
Can't find these items in your local store? You can find them on Amazon!
My cookie scooper is a must have! It quickly allows me to scoop my cookie dough and perfectly makes my cookies all the same size! It's definitely a helpful tool.
Evaporated Cane Juice Sugar