Be sure to check out all our great gluten free Thanksgiving recipes HERE including my husband's famous Juicy Turkey!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll
Adapted by jalene from Libby's Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling Recipe
Pumpkin Roll Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp Brown Rice Flour
- 3 Tbsp Sweet White Rice Flour
- 2 Tbsp Tapioca Starch/Flour
- 2 Tbsp Potato Starch
- 3/4 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice OR 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon + 1/4 tsp ground ginger + 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar or evaporated cane juice sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- (optional: 1 cup walnuts, chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. (If you don't have this size of pan you can simple do it on a cookie sheet. Just spread the batter to the size of 15 x 10.)
- Set out the ingredients for your Cream Cheese Filling on the counter so they can soften.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt into a small bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer combine your eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the pumpkin. Stir in the flour mixture. Spread evenly into your prepared pan. (If using walnuts, you can sprinkle them on top now or put them into your cream cheese filling if you want to keep them raw.)
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched and does not stick to your finger. Immediately start rolling the cake and parchment paper (see picture) and allow to cool on a wire rack. While cooling, mix your Cream Cheese Filling.
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (or to make Dairy Free use Vegan Cream Cheese)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (try my recipe for a healthier powdered sugar!)
- 6 Tbsp butter (or to make Dairy Free use Earth Balance)
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
Pumpkin Roll Cream Cheese Filling Directions:
- Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla in a mixer until smooth.
- Carefully unroll the cooled pumpkin roll. Spread the cream cheese filling over the cake evenly. Reroll the cake (without the parchment paper this time). Wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving if desired. Looks great plain as well.
Hint from jalene:
(as pictured above)