So, when life gives you Pecans, make Pecan Pie!
Most Pecan Pies have corn syrup or flour in them, making them something we would NOT eat. Luckily, I found a great Corn Syrup free recipe online and then altered it to be Gluten Free as well. The result...yummy! The pie is slightly less sweet than the original version but it's just as tasty.
Pecan Pie (Gluten & Corn Syrup Free)
Adapted by jalene from a recipe by Chefeddy.com
Makes 1-9inch pie
- 1 gluten free pie crust (I used my recipe)
- 2 cups pecans
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 & 3/4 well packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter (use Earth Balance to make it Dairy Free)
- 2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place the pecans into the uncooked pie shell. Melt the butter and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add the water, brown sugar, and salt. Then add the melted butter and extract. Pour the filling in the crust. (The pecans will float to the top).
- Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F. Cover the pie crust with foil or a pie shield (see below) to prevent burning. Bake about 65 more minutes or until center is set and no longer jiggles when touched.
A favorite tool of mine...
This is a pie shield. It's seriously a must if you make pies! (And no I don't get paid to promote this product...)
Normally, you would have to take the pie out of the oven and cover all of the crust with foil...not with this baby! Simply open the oven and slip this over the top. PERFECT!
It's easy to store along with your pie pan and saves you foil in the long run. Amazon has them for cheap in either a 9-inch or 10-inch option.