This hearty, thin crust is a fun one I invented for my husband who LOVES a thinner, cracker-like crust. I was experimenting using flaxseed meal instead of eggs and the result is surprisingly wonderful and hearty. (Needless to say, my husband loved it! And so did my in-laws who happened to be stopping in during dinner... So this small, simple picture will have to do until I can make this one again!)
Though I'm not typically a fan of the thin crust pizza it does have it's good points:
You can make more pizzas out of the dough than a thicker crust and you don't have to wait for it to rise before baking. It's a win-win folks.
Gluten Free Hearty & Thin Pizza Crust
Created by jalene
Makes 3- 14" thin crust pizzas
- 1 cup warm dairy free milk (about 110 degrees)
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 & 1/2 tsp sugar (I used Evaporated Cane Juice Sugar)
- 1 & 1/4 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
- 1/2 cup Potato Starch
- 1/4 cup Flaxseed Meal (ground up flaxseeds)
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup Grapeseed Oil (or other healthy high temperature oil)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the warm milk, yeast, and sugar in at least a 2 cup bowl and set aside to double in size.
- In a mixing bowl add your dry ingredients: brown rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, flaxseed meal, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Add your yeast mixture to your dry ingredients as well as the water, oil, and vinegar. Blend on low speed for 30 seconds then increase speed to medium and blend for 2 & 1/2 minutes more.
- Divide the dough into 3 parts and roll out each crust in between 2 oiled pieces of parchment paper to about 1/8" thick. See the video below for help.
- Cook the pizza crust (on the parchment paper & without toppings) for 8 minutes on a pizza pan.
- Pull out of the oven and discard the parchment paper. Top with your favorite toppings (I recommend this pizza sauce) and return to the oven for another 15 minutes or until the cheese and crust is starting to turn golden brown. Serve warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container or ziplock in the fridge. Can be frozen as well.
Note: This crust is NOT recommended with my New York Style Pizza Sauce.