(Before we begin I must say: though you don't have to have one for this recipe, a 1 inch cookie scoop comes super in handy.)
Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls
Created by jalene
Makes 12 cinnamon rolls
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cups warm rice milk (about 100 F)
- 3/4 cup sweet white rice flour (You can also grind your own from calrose rice)
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 6 Tbsp potato starch (not flour)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 & 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp butter or organic unsweetened applesauce or Earth Balance butter sub
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- Grease 12 muffin tins and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the yeast, sugar, and warm milk. Cover with a towel and let sit 6-8 minutes. I usually wait until it has doubled in size.
- In a mixing bowl or food processor combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the yeast mixture, egg, butter, honey and apple cider vinegar and blend while scraping sides. Mix for 3 minutes on medium speed.
- 1/3 cup sugar or evaporated cane sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp butter or Earth Balance butter sub, melted
- Melt the butter and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
4. Pour 1/2 tsp of the melted butter over the top of each muffin section. (This gives an excellent taste and helps prevent sticking.)
5. Spray a sheet of plastic wrap with olive oil and place on top of the rolls. Let rise about 15 minutes. Preheat your oven to 375 F.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes or until light brown. Meanwhile make your frosting. (These are really good without frosting too though!)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix until well combined. If a thicker frosting is desired, add more powdered sugar.
Inside shot! Can you believe the air pockets? These cinnamon rolls are so light and fluffy.
Try them & let me know what you think!