I'm so excited to share this recipe with you! Be sure to let me know what YOU think! ;)
Gluten Free Biscuit Pot Pie
Adapted by jalene from a recipe by cvernsmith off allrecipes.com
Pot Pie Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup butter (use Earthbalance or Olive Oil to make it Dairy Free)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup potato flour (not potato starch!)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 raw chicken breasts, diced small
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots and cook until tender. Mix in the potato flour, salt, basil, and pepper. The mixture should be thick.
- Pour in the broth slowly, while stirring, and bring to a boil. Add the raw chicken and bring the mixture to a boil again, cooking for about 10-15 minutes, uncovered. You can test the chicken by removing a piece and cutting it open. It should be nice and tender. Serve the pot pie mixture over or under the basil biscuits.
Gluten Free Basil Biscuits
Created by jalene
Makes 10-12 biscuits
Basil Biscuit Ingredients:
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup milk alternative
- 1 & 1/2 cup white rice flour (I grind my own from Calrose Rice but you can use Sweet Rice Flour)
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 3 Tbsp organic cornstarch
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce (we suggest organic)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp non-hydrogenated shortening (we use organic)
- Combine the milk sub and cider vinegar in a bowl and set aside. (This should sit for at least 10 minutes before adding it to the recipe).
- Preheat oven to 500 F. That's right. That's not a typo. Trust me. It creates a beautiful crust on the outside.
- In a mixing bowl or food processor combine the white rice flour, potato starch, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and basil.
- Add the applesauce and shortening and mix until crumbly and well combined.
- Slowly pour in the milk and scrape the sides if necessary. BE SURE NOT TO OVER-MIX.
- With your hands, gently shape the dough into your desired size. (I made mine about 3 inches across and 1 & 1/4 inch tall.) You can also use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop for super fast scooping. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for around 10 minutes or until light golden brown.