I believe that once you taste a frosting from scratch, you'll have a hard time going back to a pre-made one again. So let this be a WARNING to you...try this frosting and you may never buy a pre-made bottle of German Chocolate Frosting again! ;) Now, this frosting isn't the healthiest thing I've ever made on this blog but if you need frosting, this is much better than it's pre-made version. I'm working on making it dairy free as well so stayed tuned for updates on that.
Gluten Free German Chocolate Frosting
Created by jalene, but inspired by a couple of different recipes by Better Homes and Gardens & Elizabeth Barbone
Makes enough to frost a double layer cake
- 4 egg yolks
- 2- 5oz cans of evaporated milk (or 1 & 1/3 cup)
- 1 & 1/3 cup sugar (I used organic evaporated cane juice sugar)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 & 2/3 cup coconut flakes (we used unsweetened)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional-see below)
- In a saucepan over medium heat slightly beat the egg yolks. Add in the milk, sugar, and butter while stirring.
- Cook & stir for about 12 minutes. The mixture will get bubbly and thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut and pecans. Allow the frosting to cool at least 10 minutes before using.