Teriyaki is such an easy sauce to make. There are many different variations but this is simply a basic recipe. We love to make our own because we can control what goes in it! Enjoy!
(Gluten-Free, Diary-Free, Non-GMO)
Adapted by jalene
- 1/2 cup organic evaporated cane sugar
- 1/2 cup water (see note)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 6 Tbsp gluten-free Soy Sauce (see note)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp non-GMO cornstarch
- Combine the 1/4 cup water and 1 & 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat. Heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. You can serve this immediately or keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
Notes from jalene:
For a thicker Teriyaki Sauce start with 1/3 cup water instead of 1/2.
When looking for soy sauces, we highly you look for one that DOES NOT contain artificial colors or flavors, especially caramel coloring (which causes cancer). Natural food stores are a good place to look for a healthier soy sauce. We also recommend you choose a certified organic soy sauce. (One of the major reasons we like certified organic soy sauce is the widespread use of genetic modification in non-organic soybeans. Genetically modified (GM) soybeans have reached 90% market penetration in the U.S. Yikes!) For more info go HERE.
I have also used Liquid Aminos in place of the soy sauce and it worked well.