This next recipe is a sweet way to eat your nuts. If you haven't tried making caramelized almonds yourself, you should really try it! It's ridiculously easy and quick. Plus you'll save money (not to mention end up with a healthier version!) It only takes 2 ingredients. Seriously, you're running out of excuses. Go try it! ;)
I not only put these on my salads but in my trail mixes as well. Audrey loves to just snack on them by themselves! Whatever way you eat it, you're sure to love them.
Caramelized Slivered Almonds
Adapted by jalene
Makes 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 Tbsp sugar or evaporated cane juice sugar
- Tear off a large piece of wax paper. Set aside on a flat surface.
- In a saucepan over medium heat sprinkle in your sugar. Watch it carefully and when it starts to liquify, begin stirring it constantly until all the sugar is melted completely.
- Add the nuts and stir constantly until your nuts have reached your desired shade of brown.
- Plop the nuts onto your wax paper (spreading them out as you go). Let them cool for about 5 minutes or until the are not longer hot & sticky. Store in an airtight container.
Note from jalene: Don't want to use sugar? Try 2 Tbsp of honey instead! It creates a slightly different taste and a stickier end result but they're just as great. Simply combine the honey and nuts all together in the pan and stir constantly until your desired shade of brown is reached.