I'm dedicating this next recipe to my little sister. She has just recently found out that she's allergic not only to gluten, but dairy as well! She's going through that difficult mental transition right now of "there's nothing to eat..." OH, dear sister, I have over 200 recipes so far for you! If any of you are going through the same transition as her, I strongly suggest checking out my page: New to Gluten Free. It gives you some great starter tips and support through this time. Eating gluten (and dairy free even) is not as bad as you think! There are SO many other things you can eat. You just need to turn your focus to that.
My sister asked me a great question the other day that maybe some of you may have wondered, "Without drinking milk, how will I be able to get enough calcium in my diet!?" I think Popeye has the answer you're looking for...SPINACH! And if you don't like spinach, here's a list of other foods HIGH in calcium for you. The truth is, there's a lot of things you CAN eat to provide all the nutrients you need.
So sister, I know it's super hard right now, but you'll get through it!
PS- if any of you are in the Idaho/Utah area my sister does AMAZING flowers, etc. for weddings. You can see her talented work at Plusheventweddings.com or follow her on Pinterest at pinterest.com/plushevents.
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Adapted by jalene
Serves 4-6 people
- 1/4 lb gluten free sausage (I use one with no msg or nitrates)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain rice or almond milk (or water also works too)
- 3 cups frozen hashbrowns
- 1 & 1/2 oz (or 1 cup firmly packed) spinach
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste (I use 1 tsp usually)
- 1/8 tsp pepper, or to taste
- optional: more seasonings, chives, etc. (the recipe is pretty basic so feel free to add your own spark!)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry your spinach. Chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large skillet brown the sausage and the onion. Remove from heat. In a large bowl combine the sausage mixture, hashbrowns, and spinach until well combined.
- Beat together the milk, eggs, salt, and pepper and combine with the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a 8 x 6 inch glass pan (or equivalent) and smooth out the top. Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until the center does not jiggle when slightly shaking the pan.