Blueberry Breakfast Biscuits
Created by jalene
Makes 7 muffins (1/4 cup each)
- 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup milk (or to make it dairy free use a milk alternative)
- 3/4 cup white rice flour (I grind my own from Calrose Rice)
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp organic cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar *see note (I used evaporated cane juice sugar)
- 3 TB organic unsweetened applesauce
- 3 TB butter (or to make dairy free use organic non-hydrogenated shortening)
- 1 & 1/2 almond extract or gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup blueberries (I used frozen but fresh would work as well)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Combine the milk and cider vinegar in a bowl and set aside. (This should sit for at least 5 minutes).
- In a mixing bowl combine the white rice flour, potato starch, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and sugar.
- Add the applesauce and butter (or shortening) and mix until crumbly.
- Add the almond or vanilla extract to the milk mixture. Slowly pour that into your mixing bowl and mix until just combined. Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Scoop batter into 1/4 cup mounds and place onto a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for around 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown.