The original recipe is slightly different then this one posted. Since we know a little more about corn syrup now a days I've altered this recipe NOT to include it. For those of you that are dairy free as well, I've also included how we made it DF so Audrey could enjoy it too!
Mama Lene's Caramel Popcorn
Adapted by jalene from a recipe by her mom, Alene
- 1/2 cup butter (or to make dairy free use Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 quarts or 16 cups of air popped popcorn, kernels & small pieces removed
- Pop your popcorn, measure, and set aside in a large bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F.
- Bring to boil over medium heat the butter, syrup, sugar and salt while stirring occasionally and scraping down the sides. Continue stirring and boil for 5 minutes.
- Pull the pan off the heat and add the baking soda and vanilla. Stir well to combine and then pour the caramel over the popcorn. Toss until the popcorn is completely coated.
- Spoon the popcorn onto a parchment covered cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Watch carefully towards the end so it doesn't get too dark.
Corn is one of those ingredients that is IN EVERYTHING! Don't believe me? Next time study your food label. It's also known as "Corn Syrup", "High Fructose Corn Syrup", "Caramel Coloring", "Citric Acid", "Dextrose", "MSG", and many more...
It's also one of the most genetically modified grains. 95% of all the corn we eat is actually GMO!
To prevent further irritation to your body, look for a good organic popcorn and stick to products that only use organic corn ingredients.
Remember, if it is "Organic" it HAS NOT been Genetically Modified.
For a 5 pound bag: