Some of you might be saying I don't even know what a lentil is! Well to be honest I didn't either before I started cooking Gluten-Free! You can find them down the bean section of your grocery store and they are super cheap. It's crazy but you can get 63% of your daily fiber from 1 cup of lentils and 18 grams of protein! They are also very high in iron. You can see all the facts about them by clicking HERE.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Can be Vegan
Adapted by jalene (original recipe by Michelle Thomas)
- In a large skillet saute the onion and garlic in the oil until tender.
- Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Uncover and cook off any excess liquid. Mixture will thicken. You can slightly mash the lentils if you prefer.
- Stir in the salsa and serve!
We eat this in taco shells, tostadas or on chips with romaine lettuce, avocado, and salsa. They are amazing! If you are not concerned about being dairy-free, cheese is great on them as well.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.