I've been trying to experiment more with almond and coconut flour and this combination is just right on! It's crazy to think that almond and coconut can even mock what wheat does but you seriously will not be able to tell the difference! (If you haven't tried my Almond Cranberry Pound Cake Recipe, you should! It's similar to this one but with a completely different flavor.)
The only problem with this lemon & poppy seed bread... it disappears too quickly! You'll have to hide it, ration it, bury it in the backyard... to make sure you even get a bite! ;) Enjoy!
Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake (Gluten Free, Grain Free, Paleo, Dairy Free)
Created by jalene but inspired by my Almond Cranberry Pound Cake Recipe
Makes 1 loaf, (8-10 1 inch slices)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (or to make corn-free use guar gum)
- 2/3 cup sugar or evaporated cane juice sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder (to be truly grain-free use 1 part cream of tartar + 1 part baking soda + 2 parts arrowroot)
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp packed lemon zest (finely grate the outside of a lemon)
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 to 3 tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the almond, coconut flour, xanthan gum (or sub), sugar, salt, and baking powder (or sub). Whisk to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, add your eggs and beat for 30 sec. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, water, and honey.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet and mix until uniformly moist. (Batter will thicken as it sits.) Quickly fold in the poppy seeds.
- Scoop the batter into your prepared pan and smooth down the top slightly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is starting to lightly brown and will slightly bounce back up with touched.
Psst! Want to try a healthier alternative? Try subbing chia seeds for the poppy seeds!