After creating this recipe I can take a guess... because I LITERALLY wanted to pound this cake down! We actually ate so much that I had to made another batch to take pictures! Ha ha.
It's that good.
My husband was surprised how moist it was and tasted like the gluten version. You could definitely serve this to people and they WOULD NOT know it's gluten free!
I love that it's made with almond and coconut flour so it's not only gluten free but grain free as well! Almond flour is packed with great protein (among other benefits) and the coconut flour provides great fiber and is low carb. And don't even get me started on the cranberries! After you read about the benefits you'll wonder why you don't eat them everyday! In fact, cranberries are super cheap this time of year (after Thanksgiving) so you can save $ by stocking up and freezing some now.
Well, I think you're going to LOVE it! ;) So, without further ado...
Almond Cranberry Paleo Pound CakePlease don't lick the computer screen...
Adapted by jalene from a recipe by askgeorgie.com
Makes about 8-10 (1-inch thick) slices
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (or to make corn-free use guar gum)
- 2/3 cup sugar or evaporated cane juice sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder (to be truly grain-free use 1 part cream of tartar + 1 part baking soda + 2 parts arrowroot)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp water
- 1 & 1/4 cup cranberries (I used frozen) or you can do 3/4 cup cranberries and 1/2 cup diced apples
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond, coconut flour, sugar, salt, baking powder (or sub) and xanthan gum (or sub). Whisk to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, add your eggs and beat for 30 sec. Add the almond extract and water.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet and mix until uniformly moist. (Batter will thicken as it sits.) Quickly fold in the cranberries.
- Scoop the batter into your prepared pan and smooth down the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is starting to lightly brown and will slightly bounce back up with touched.